Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Counting Syllables

It was touch and go there for awhile today. I didn't think I was going to make it. The kids were all sugared up from Halloween and then we had a bad wind and rain storm. It was almost an in-day for lunch recess! I wouldn't have made it through the day if my little firsties had stayed in for recess with me. They would have driven me crazy! I really love the little dickens, I do. But they were sooooo hyper today. I needed my lunch time break. Finally, the rain stopped and our principal (bless her heart) must have heard the sugar buzz in the school, because just as we were going to lunch changed it to an outside day!!! So I was able to get my little break and survive the rest of the day. It's a wonder what a little fresh air can do for hyper kiddos.

We are working on counting syllables in words. This is such a hard concept for some of my kids. I think some kids just can't say the words right or know what a beat is or something. I've tried everything. Anyhow, here are some activities we've done. To introduce syllables we said a little rhyme and sorted pictures of food into bags of 1, 2, or 3 syllables. This was given to me by one of the teachers on my team.

I think it's important for the kids to see the word along with the picture so I made these other activities. We did the syllable punch.
I made two versions of it, one for a center activity and the other if you don't want to mess with hole punches you can color instead.



 Then we did the sort in our sort books. If you don't do sort books you could just glue them on a paper.

Click on the picture if you'd like a PDF. FREE of course!


5 comments:

Christina Bainbridge said...

LOVE the syllable punch! Thanks for sharing... we'll be doing it next Wednesday!

:)
Christina
Mrs. Bainbridge's Class

Saartje S. said...

I really love your ideas! Thank you very much! Hanneke

learningmyself said...

Thanks for sharing this great idea!! I love hole punch, but love the alternate as well...thanks again!! :)

Lynn said...

I am so excited to try the hole punch activity with my kiddos this week! Thanks for the great freebies!

kinder-gardening said...

I vist your blog often and can't tell you how much I learn from it. I appreciate your sharing of great ideas. thank you!