Sunday, February 5, 2012

100's Day and Freebies

It's been a fun week! We had a great 100's day full of learning and fun! Here are some pictures.
We counted and sorted Fruit Loops on our counting mats and then strung a necklace!
I got the idea from Miss Marcy's blog My First Grade Backpack HERE.
I made a sorting mat you can download if you click on the picture. I'm going to use it for other counting projects through out the year.

We did Melissa's fun activity from her blog, Today in First Grade called '100 things on a ring' through out the day and they loved it. Click HERE to check out her blog post and get a copy. 
We played Roll 100, read lots of 100 day books, and put pentomino 100's puzzles together. 
But I think their favorite activity was Bear Squeeze. This is my sweet little granddaughter Tiffany playing it.
It is an idea we got at Utah Core Academy several years ago. You don't have to do it for 100's day though. First you read this book by Stuart Murphy.

Then you tell the kiddos they are going to be magic and make a 100's number line from a single sheet of paper. Then show them how by cutting all the edges off but the left side.
 Put some glue on that left side and roll the paper around together and line up the 10 and 11 and all the way down the line. Then start to cut below the numbers and before you know it- you have a number line. They all 'ohh and ahh'. Then we play 'Bear Squeeze'. It's like the game Eddie plays in the book. I hope this is making sense. If not click on the picture below to grab a copy of this fun activity. I included the pictures because every year I need a reminder how the magic works! I made it to 120 because the new core goes beyond 100 now!
Oh I almost forgot. Because the Groundhog says we are having 6 more weeks of winter, my WINTER MATH CENTER packet is 20% off. Hurry over a get it while it's on sale! Click TpT or TN for a link.
Thanks for stopping by. I hope you found something you can use in your classroom!
Have a great week!

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Bear Squeeze sounds like fun. I can't quite picture how to make the number line, but I plan on giving it a try soon. Thanks!
Tammy
Forever in First

Barbara said...

I just grabbed your mat. Our 100 day is in a couple of weeks.
Thanks!

❀Barbara❀
Grade ONEderful

Doris Young said...

Love your super cute blog and ideas!
Doris @thirdgradethinkers8

Jill said...

Thanks for the great idea! I'm definitely going to be trying this!

Anonymous said...

How do you play bear squeeze? Sounds ever so fun...